Electricity in the Nitro-Hydrogen Economy
The power grid distributes electricity from points of production to where it is used with an approximate efficiency of 92.8%. The grid has no storage element: to avoid blackouts and brownouts the load placed on it by end users must be exactly balanced by generation.
The load varies with time of day and with the season of the year. It is also driven by events such as the Superbowl.
The generation capacity and the grid must be sized to handle the peak demand, but power companies can only sell the average demand which is usually about 22% less than the peak. Thus because of the lack of a storage element in the grid it is not possible to use the power infrastructure to its full capacity.
Instead a delicate process of balancing generation against load is carried out. This is made more difficult by the fact that "base load" stations such as coal and nuclear plants take considerable time to turn off and on. Another variable is introduced by Wind and Solar generation which vary with the time of day and the season of the year.
Once renewable resources exceed about 15% of total capacity balancing the grid becomes much more difficult
The Nitro-Hydrogen Economy solves these difficulties:
- By providing large centrally controllable loads which can be used to balance the grid
- By allowing full use of the electrical infrastructure: that is, power companies can sell to their full generation and distribution capacity. In fact itr is more profitable turn electricity into Ammonia: a much higher value commodity
- The storage capacity provides low cost on-site fuel, Hydrogen and fertilizer, thus allowing electrification of the vehicle fleets, lowering agricultural costs and providing low cost Hydrogen for refineries
- The existing electrical infrastructure can supply 76% of our gasoline based traction requirements using the electric engines (click on heading above). Using existing engines, the grid can supply 33% of the diesel requirements
- Storage can increase the utilization of wind, solar and renewable sources by approximately 30%
- Electricity can be regenerated from the storage at the same efficiency as battery-electric systems, but at a fraction of the cost
- NH-Eco provides US energy security by removing dependence on foreign Oil
- NH-Eco provides major reduction in Carbon Dioxide, Oxides of Nitrogen and other pollutants
- NH-Eco assists economic recovery by eliminating $300 Billion per year of offshore payments while providing US jobs